Monday, August 27, 2012

Beef Stroganoff Soup

Only one more week until school starts here in Michigan! My kindergartener is super excited to get started, ride the bus and meet all of his new classmates!

Fall is just around the corner so I have a delicious soup recipe for you today.  The recipe says you can leave this as a runny, broth soup or you can add some cornstarch to thicken it up a bit.  I like my soups on the thicker side, so I took the extra couple of minutes to thicken it up a bit.  It turned out great! The beef was oh so tender and just full of flavor!


Beef Stroganoff Soup

Source: For The Love Of Cooking


Yield: 6
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 20 min.

INGREDIENTS:

3 t. olive oil
3/4 lb. of lean chuck, cut into small bite sized cubes
1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
6 c. beef broth
1 T. Dijon mustard
1-2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
2 c. egg noodles
2-3 T. corn starch + 1/4 cup of beef broth (if thicker soup is desired)
3 T. sour cream
Chives, chopped, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:

Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the beef and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until browned. Add the onion and mushrooms then cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme then season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste; cook stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add the beef broth, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaf to the Dutch oven then stir until well combined. Cover with a lid and simmer for 2-3 hours.
Turn the heat up to medium then add the noodles and cook for 10 minutes or until the noodles are cooked through. If you would like a thicker soup mix 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch with a bit of beef broth then add to the boiling soup and stir well until thick. Remove from the heat and let sit for a minute or two to cool down. Add the sour cream and stir until well combined. taste the soup and re-season with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, Dijon, or Worcestershire sauce if needed. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. My mom used to make stroganoff all the time but I haven't had it in ages! Seeing this reminds me of fun family dinners at home. I think I will give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your site through a Halloween pin. I'm from Michigan, too! (I don't live there, now, though.) I hope you are enjoying the beautiful Fall colors. I miss them here in the desert!

    I would be happy to have you share this and any other ideas you would like to link up at "One Creative Weekend" on OneCreativeMommy.com. The party is open every Fri-Wed. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete