Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Strudel Day!

I was honored to spend the day with the Potter family last weekend. Saturday was their annual Strudel Making Day and they invited me to join them! I had been waiting months for this day to come! I was so excited and had never made or seen strudel being made before. This is their family tradition that has been going on for the past 37 years! The recipe belongs to Mary's great-grandma and they are keeping the art of strudel making alive in their family. I had such a fun day with the Potters, eating, chatting, eating, making dough, eating, stretching dough, eating, and making strudel while learning about their family's history.

As soon as everyone arrived we all immediately pitched in to core, peel, and slice apples and shred squash. Teamwork and laughter was in the air the entire day. My friend, Mary, is on the left.





Here's Mary's mom, Gayle. She was such a sweetheart and taught me how to make the dough. She explained how important every little detail was...like the temperature of the eggs and the weather and humidity outside. Everything affected the way the dough turned out.



Here's 3/4 of the group. Check out that dough! It was super thin and we stretched it as big as the kitchen table!



It literally took 5-6 people to stretch the dough...



Every once in awhile we'd accidentally poke a hole but I quickly learned that was okay.
(Hi Mary! :)



Next, the strudel dough was topped with either squash or apples, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, and drizzled with melted butter.









Then we lifted up the tablecloth and gently rolled up the strudel.



Look at the joy on my face after seeing it all rolled up.



Next they brushed some milk onto the outside of the dough and sprinkled on a little more sugar. It was then ready for the oven!



Here's some of the finished squash strudel. Yum!!!



Thanks ladies for such a wonderful day filled with lots of strudel making. I will never forget it! And thank you Liz for hosting! I'll be talking about this day for a long time!



Check back in tomorrow as I reveal Mary's great-grandma's strudel recipe!

2 comments:

  1. cheri GoldscheitterOctober 4, 2011 at 8:41 AM

    I am attending one of these family strudel fests this Saturday... how timely!! :) thanks for building up my anticipation! it looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tradition! My Aunt and her sisters get together every year for a fruitcake day, and I've always wanted to start a similar tradition within our family. The pictures are making me hungry (as usual!).

    ReplyDelete