Saturday, March 5, 2011

Tortellini Soup

I loved this soup! LOVED, LOVED, LOVED!!!! Have I told you how much I liked this soup?!?!

This soup was not only delicious but it was also extremely easy to throw together! I used cheese tortellini in my soup (just because I love cheese tortellini)! I even make my pasta salads with cheese tortelli!

This was a big hit with my family even though the first thing that came out of my husband's mouth was, "There's no meat." For those of you that know him personally this will not surprise you. He has to have meat with each and every meal. :) After he walked to the fridge and got some deli ham to satisfy his meat quota for the evening, he told me that he really liked the soup as well. I was very excited to eat the leftovers for lunch the following day just because I liked it that much!




Tortellini Soup
Source: Hanging On By A Thread

1 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, minced (about 1/4 c.)
1/2 t. dried oregano
1 quart (4 c.) low sodium chicken broth
14.5 oz can whole tomatoes
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
9-10 oz. package tortellini, fresh or frozen
3 c. chopped fresh spinach, loosely packed
Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Cook until the onion is softened and the garlic has turned light gold, about 5 minutes.

Add the oregano, broth, tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. (You can break up the tomatoes with your fingers as you add them to the pot, or break them up with a spoon once you’ve added them to the soup.)

Bring the soup to a boil and add the tortellini. Cook according to the package directions.

One minute before the tortellini are done, add the spinach. Stir to combine.

When the tortellini are cooked, remove the pot from the heat immediately so they do not overcook. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.

Serve the soup immediately, topped with grated Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment