Saturday, December 11, 2010

Santa Party Mix

I have found so many cute Christmas candy recipes this year! I've just been having a blast in my kitchen lately. Check out these adorable little Santa hats! Aren't they cute?!?!



They are made out of caramel bugles (you can use plain ones too) and mini marshmallows. I haven't had bugles for years and it was the first time I'd ever had CARAMEL bugles. They were so good that I seriously could have eaten a whole bag before I even started dipping them!

After making these Santa hats, you can add them to a chocolate covered party mix and it will be the hit of the party! Enjoy!!!





Santa Party Mix
Source: Cookies and Cups

Bugles (Caramel Bugles if you can find them)
Red Melting disks
1 T. shortening
Mini marshmallows
White sprinkles (I used nonpareils)

Melt the red candy melts, along with a tablespoon of shortening (to help thin the melted candy), in 30 second intervals on half power in your microwave until melted. Immediately start dipping the bugles. Let them set up for 10 minutes or so on parchment or wax paper. When they are set, remelt the red candy disk (if necessary) and dip just the bottoms (the large part of the Bugle) into the white sprinkles. Then flip it over and dip the top in the melted candy and press a mini marshmallow on top. And voila...bugle Santa hats!

If you want to use the hats as an addition to a mix here's an idea for a sweet and salty mix that's easy and yummy.
Feel free to play around with the additions and make it your own!

3 c. mini pretzels
1 c. salted dry roasted peanuts
2 c. Rice Chex
2 c. Corn Chex
3 c. Cheerios
2 c. holiday colored M&M's
1/2 c. craisins (optional)
1 1/2 lbs. white chocolate for melting

Put all your ingredients, EXCEPT M&M's, into a large bowl. Melt your white chocolate according to package directions and drizzle over the pretzel mix. Stir then transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper and allow to dry. When chocolate is set, sprinkle M&M's and Santa hats over the mix. Transfer to a big bowl to serve or put in decorative jars to give to your friends.

8 comments:

  1. I love this it tast great and was very easy. The only thing I will do different next time is put the M&Ms in the mix before the white chocolate cools. Every one that has had it LOVES it. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda! I have to agree with you about adding in the M&M's to the mix before the white chocolate cools. At first I thought it sounded like a good idea to add them at the end so that it is more colorful; however, I found that all of the M&M's fall to the bottom this way. Next time I am going to try adding them in with everything else. That is a great point! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link back!!! I totally agree about the idea of adding the M&M's before so they don't sink!
    Great job, your mix looks YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cookies and Cups -
    You are so welcome! I LOVE your blog and this is one of the cutest Christmas candy ideas I've seen this year. They were a big hit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these, but do not know what you mean when you call for "red melting disks". What are they???

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are Candy Melts made by Wilton and come in just about every color you can imagine. They are microwavable and made for molding, dipping, and drizzling.

    ReplyDelete